It’s summertime and that brings an increase in the display of the American flag in our communities. Beginning this week, with Independence Day and straight on to Labor Day, Old Glory flies proudly across the neighborhoods. And, like any other fabric, your American flag needs care and attention.
Cleaning the American Flag
Properly displaying and caring for the American flag can be confusing. Fortunately, “4 U.S. Code, Chapter 1,” provides the legal guidelines. These include how to hang the flag, parade with the flag and, which way the flag should be facing when hung vertically. In addition, there are specific instructions for flag care.
- Never fasten, display, use, or store a flag in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.
- Clean and mend flags when necessary.
- When a flag is so tattered that it no longer fits to serve as a symbol of the United States, destroy it in a dignified manner, preferably by burning. The Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, Boy Scouts of America, Girl Scouts of America, the military, and other organizations regularly conduct dignified flag-burning ceremonies.
No matter how careful you are, in the warmth of summer with dust and dirt, your flag is likely to become soiled. It is inevitable that you will need to clean it. The best way to clean your flag depends on the material used to make it and on its design.
- Simple soap and water will clean an all-weather flag (composed of a nylon base), without a problem.
- Dry clean or wash all-cotton flags in cold water with a mild detergent. Lay them out flat to dry and use a cool iron for finishing.
- Always dry clean wool flags and flags with ropes or tassels.
- Store your flag in a clean, dry container, folded with tissue paper to maintain freshness. As you do with your clothes, keep your flag in a cool, dry place.
Free Flag Cleaning
Flair Cleaners offers free flag cleaning year-round. Simply bring your residential use American flag into any of the five Flair Cleaners locations and we be sure you’re flag will make you proud.