Sleeping bags can make or break a camping trip, so before you pack away the bag you’ve used all summer, be sure to have it professionally dry cleaned, and then think about the best way to store it long term.
First, make sure the bag is dry before storing. Never store a wet sleeping bag. Then decide how you want to store the bag. There are three schools of thought on long-term sleeping bag storage. The answer depends on the amount of space you have, but the choice is yours.
- Hanging up. If you have the space, hanging your sleeping bag over a pants hanger is an ideal way to ensure that the feathers or fill are not being crushed at all.
- Flat under a bed. Either way, the point is to let it loft out and breathe, without being exposed to weather or dirt.
- On a shelf. In this case, pack the bag in a larger bag, not the stuff sack used on camping. This prevents the lofting from breaking down and weakening, whether feathers or fill.
Keeping the bag clean while in the outdoors or in between trips will help with the overall long term care as well.
- Keep your bag dry. Always keep it in a waterproof outer bag.
- Air the sleeping bag for at least 10 minutes each morning to dry out any perspiration, condensation or dew that may be on the bag.
- Line your sleeping bag with a bed sheet prior to sleeping in it. This will absorb perspiration and prevent body oils from soiling it. After camping the sheet can be pulled out and washed.
- Be sure to clean the sleeping bag before stuffing it and putting it away for the next trip. A clean, dry sleeping bag lessens the chance of bacteria or mold. There are two ways to clean a sleeping bag:
- Have the bag dry-cleaned. This is the easiest option, and with Flair’s GreenEarth eco-friendly dry-cleaning process, there is no need to air it out after cleaning.
- Wash and dry the bag at home using special soaps designed just for this purpose. Be sure to follow the care label on your sleeping back if you plan to try to wash it at home, and use a washer big enough to allow full circulation.
If you have questions, just give us a call or stop in. We’d be happy to provide suggestions and help. Wherever your adventures take you, at Flair, we want to be sure they are enjoyable!
Leave a Comment