It’s sweater weather! Finally, the nights are getting cooler and the days are getting shorter. Here are a few sweater care tips to ensure your sweaters look good and last for many seasons.
Sweater Care Tips
- Carefully fold sweaters, don’t hang or squish them into a drawer.
- Use a soft brush to remove fuzz, hair, and lint.
- Follow cleaning instructions and take dry clean only items to Flair.
- If a sweater has lost its shape, dry cleaning is a good way to bring it back into shape.
- Always clean sweaters before storing them for the season.
- Wearing a coat over a sweater or a rough fabric under it, creates friction that decreases the sweater’s lifespan.
Tips For Hand-washing Sweaters
- Turn your sweater inside out. This protects the outside surface fibers from pulling.
- Fill the sink with water (follow care instructions regarding temperature), add a small amount of a good quality detergent and mix it in slightly being careful to avoid creating foam suds.
- Gently push the sweater down into water and then let it soak for 20 minutes; do not knead or agitate.
- Rinse with tap water until no bubbles are left, being careful to hold and support the sweater from underneath as you lift it, rather than pulling it up, to prevent stretching.
- Roll the towel, and then press the rolled towel, being careful to avoid wringing or rubbing the wet sweater.
- Lay face up on a dry towel and block or shape the sweater gently back into its original shape: pull together the waist and wrist ribbing, button cardigan buttons closed, roll collars into position, and straighten the sleeves.
- Let dry overnight. In the morning, turn it over and block the other side; let dry.
Or, bring all your sweaters to Flair and leave the washing, drying, and blocking to us!