Keeping your clothes wrinkle-free is a struggle. Sometimes, it feels like wrinkles set in with only a few minutes of walking or sitting. And ironing is simply no fun. Our team put together some ideas to help you prevent your clothes from wrinkling.
What Causes Clothes to Wrinkle?
Some fabrics are more prone to wrinkle than others because they are held together by bonds that hold water molecules together, meaning they are highly absorbent. When the material gets wet, the shape is modified. When the water evaporates, new hydrogen bonds lock in wrinkles. These fabrics include cotton, linen, and rayon.
How to Keep Your Clothes from Wrinkling While Wearing
- Use a little starch on the garment while ironing. This will give it a more crisp finish.
- Make sure that clothing is cool and dry before wearing it.
- Don’t put pressure on your clothing, such as wearing heavy bags against the garment.
- Make sure that you wear the right size. Your body will naturally create wrinkles in the fabric if your clothing is too tight.
How to Keep Your Clothes from Wrinkling When Packing
- Pack wrinkle-resistant clothing, such as silk, polyester, and viscose.
- Roll each garment from top to bottom and place side by side in your suitcase. This increases packing space and helps to prevent those annoying wrinkles!
- If possible, pack lightly. Packing clothes too tightly together causes more friction and wrinkles.
- If you can’t pack lightly, separate each garment with tissue paper or a dryer sheet; this helps to reduce friction and wrinkles!
- Bring a travel steamer with you! These quickly get rid of wrinkles while on the go.
How to Keep Your Clothes from Wrinkling in the Closet
- Do NOT use wire hangers. Because they are thin and lightweight, the weight of your clothes can pull on the wire, creating new creases or causing the material to pucker.
- Make sure that your clothes are completely dry and cool before hanging up!
- Try not to overstuff your closet. Remember that your clothes need room to breathe; otherwise, too much friction will occur, causing more wrinkles.
- Place each hanger one to two inches apart. This will ensure that each garment has enough breathing space.
How to Keep Your Clothes from Wrinkling in the Dryer
- Take your clothes out of the dryer immediately after the cycle ends. It is important to hang or fold the clothes immediately to keep them from wrinkling.
- When unloading the dryer, hold each garment high and shake it sharply to get rid of any wrinkles before folding or putting it away.
- Don’t dry too much clothing at once. Overstuffing your dryer will not leave enough room for your dress to return to its natural shape.
- Use the appropriate drying cycles for the clothes. Read labels on your clothing to know which is best for that load of laundry. Some fabrics require high heat, while others require low heat.
At Flair Cleaners, getting the wrinkles out isn’t be a problem! Our Wash & Fold laundry ensures your clothes arereturned clean and wrinkle-free. And, our FREE Pickup & Delivery services makes laundry even easier. Keep your clothes wrinkle-free with Flair!